what would you do?...you walk into your little local oppy and there it is...up there all lonely like on the top shelf. its filthy and its calling your name...but...
you cant bloody reach it!...and the only other person in the shop is the lovely old love who is manning the shop for the afternoon who could possibly be one of the shortest adults you have ever seen!. no step ladder to be found....what to do??
then old love has a thought!...she has a milk crate in the boot of her car...would that do?...hell yeah!
hell no...still a few inches short....telephone books!!...old love is on fire!
hurrah!
we get to the counter and I ask the obvious....how much?
50 cents thanks!! whaaaat!
how presh are op shop ladies! (well mostly, some are absolute horror stories but they are few and far between). there is no way I could only part with a 50 cent piece. old love have gone above and beyond to help me out and even joined in my ooh`s and ahh`s over how lovely this treasure is.
I donated a tenner, tucked that pretty under my arm and drove away one happy camper.
a little love and look at her shine!
sharing in the op shop show off with the sweet Max
pop over and check it out....lots of fab finds
bit gloomy here today, lucky I have a handsome jesus and a hot WG to gaze at!.
Al x
What lengths one has to go to get such a treasure (at such a price!). Love it, Al. I'm just gearing up for a day's Op Shopping in Wangaratta while the boss undergoes a delightful day only procedure! Its been sooo long since I had the chance to 'Go Oppo'! xx
ReplyDeletelol oh ive got a good feeling suze....there will be finds im sure! x
DeleteGo oppo, i like that! That sounds hilarious-but well worth the precarious balancing trick as it is an absolute beauty-and so are you you generous lady x
ReplyDeletehi max...I think sue nailed it..."go oppo" kinda describes it perfectly x
DeleteLove it! I too could not leave lonely unloved treasure behind, heck I would have driven home for a ladder myself ! Amazing colours in some of these WG pieces, I myself don't collect it but will keep my eye out for you.I just had an amazing day of orange goodies yesterday, as soon as the freezing gloom lifts up here I will take some pics. mel x
ReplyDeletecant wait to see....orange is a favourite...love it when others have amazing days too! x
DeleteI love it and it matches Jesus so beautifully ... you might say a match made in heaven ... and I just did ;0)
ReplyDeletexx
jesus and the WG....great band name! x
DeleteHa! Love it, what a pearler of a story, well worth your generous tenner.
ReplyDeleteI would've popped the old dear on my back to reach that one!
ReplyDeletehahahahaa!
Deleteoh kylie....you and Dana are both going to hell!! x
DeleteAnd I would have probably given her fifty cents and run...but that's why I'm going to hell and you're not. :) That is one gorgeous vase! Lucky, lucky you!
ReplyDeleteGreat story and great styling with Jesus. Now he will have a deeper smile in his face...
ReplyDeleteLOVE it....what a great find!
ReplyDeleteand they only wanted 50c. gosh that's crazy.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful piece of pottery. how do you tell its a WG piece? are they signed on the bottom?
x
yep they have W.GERMANY on the bottom and usually a number....don't get started zara...they are addictive I tell you!!! x
DeleteLove that story! I just love some of the sweet old things who work in op shops. Probably be me one day not too far away! Hope I'm still sweet, perhaps I'll be a bit cranky by then x
ReplyDeleteOh you make me giggle, I could not wait to scroll down and see what it was! Didn't disappoint Al, gorgeous. Maybe you need to keep one of those fold out go-go gadget step ladders on your person at all times! Jesus looks very happy there in all that orange glory xx
ReplyDeletea step ladder in my boot!!..genius! x
Deleteand a little tragic! lol x
DeleteI am all about that ceramic(?) Jesus. I'm not sure how my rabidly atheist fiance would react, but I would totally sneak that into the house.
ReplyDeleteAwesome find and I love the story with it! Rings bells to me too, the cute old lady..
ReplyDeleteI have been known to overpay for things too - sometimes I feel like a robber so I just have to give a bit more!!
STuff with WG is always built to last!!
Jesus is happy with you! now why am i not surprised at the vision in my head of you balanced on top of a milk crate and phone books in an op shop! hysterical!! xxx
ReplyDeleteClassic story Allison!! Goodness our phonebooks wouldn't have got you far these days they've got so compact you might have slipped right off the side! Fab combo & super zingy red! Love the Jesus..very pensive faraway look on his face ; ) Now, to go & find Rob I just know he'll love your story too! x0x0x
ReplyDeleteHi allison....found you! cos you found me! Hooray...Love your jesus statue...bestest Daisy j
ReplyDeleteI love that story of how you found your treasure, I often think the finding is half the fun of it all. Your little lady sounds so lovely and doesn't your vase go beautifully with Jesus? xx
ReplyDeleteGreat story and a great rescue. xx
ReplyDelete